Why does women’s ministry matter, and how can it play a role in discipling women within the church? And what are some of the challenges leaders face when implementing discipleship programs?
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you choose to make a purchase via one of the links, we will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps to support the costs of running the podcast and blog.
In our last episode of the Discipleship Series, Holly talks with our guest Cyndee Ownbey about intentional discipleship and mentoring within women’s ministry. Cyndee shares her own leadership journey and how she ended up leading Women’s Ministry Toolbox. She provides valuable insights into women’s ministry, discipleship, and mentoring.
Whether you are a women’s ministry leader or not, you don’t want to miss this conversation, as it impacts all women in the body of Christ.
Key Points Discussed:
- Cyndee’s Leadership Journey [5:02]
- Why Women’s Ministry is Vital to the Church [10:23]
- Shifts within Women’s Ministry [17:33]
- Developing Disciples within Women’s Ministry [18:15]
- Getting women involved in discipleship
- 3 key things women should learn
- Discipleship vs. Mentoring [23:28]
- Difference between discipleship and mentoring
- Practical ways to pair people up
- Unique Challenges to Discipleship in Our Current Time [30:30]
- Convincing women that discipleship is important
- Importance of engaging different stages effectively
- Starting a Discipleship Process In Your Church [39:00]
- Developing Leaders Within Your Ministry [42:56]
- Leaders are Learners [44:25]
Key Quotes from the Episode:
- “When we share our stories, that lets other women know, ‘I’m not alone in this.’”
- “Women need each other. There are ways that we can support each other that men just can’t.”
- “When our women are in the word and they know the word, we are all better for it.”
- “Do we need to provide respite or do we need to provide hope for women? Or is it both?”
- “We need to teach women how to read God’s word for themselves.”
- “I think one of our unique challenges is honestly convincing women that it [discipleship] is important.”
- “When you’ve got women in different ages and stages that are meeting together it is just beautiful.”
- “We’ve got a lot of women who have for years have been relying on their pastor, their favorite bible study author, or their favorite book to teach God’s word to them and aren’t digging into God’s word on their own.”
- “If we would all take the time to equip our women and teach them how to study God’s word, imagine how that could transform the church.”
- “Once they learn how to do it they are going to teach other people how to do it and that’s what discipleship is.”
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Disciple Her: Using the Word, Work, & Wonder of God to Invest in Women by Kandi Gallaty
- Woman to Woman Mentoring – Janet Thompson
- Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds by Jen Wilkin
Connect with Cyndee Ownbey:
Cyndee Ownbey is the author of Rethinking Women’s Ministry: Biblical, Practical Tools for Cultivating a Flourishing Community. She serves as a mentor to thousands of women’s ministry leaders through her website and Facebook community, Women’s Ministry Toolbox. Pulling from over twenty years of experience ministering to women, Cyndee shares tried-and-true women’s ministry tips and ideas that equip leaders to cultivate a Christ-focused community. Cyndee enjoys training women’s ministry leaders and teaching at women’s events and conferences whenever the opportunity allows.
Become a Podcast Partner & Receive Bonus Content
We have a fun way for you to partner with the podcast and get access to exclusive content. Every month, we add at least 1 bonus clip from an interview or from Holly and I to a special podcast for our partners. You can become a podcast partner for as little as $5/month by clicking here.
In this bonus episode of the podcast, you can hear:
- How Cyndee began to understanding her wiring
- Cyndee’s advice for a younger leader
Go here to sign up: http://estherlittlefield.com/support
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app. Click here to find all the options where you can find the podcast.
Join our Purposeful Leadership Facebook group! In the Facebook group, we can chat about what you need as a leader, what your challenges are, as well as celebrate the wins. This is a great community to learn and grow together. We want to get to know YOU.
Other Ways to Connect with Esther and the Christian Woman Leadership Podcast:
Pin it for later: