Have you ever struggled to navigate the workplace or even the church as a female in a male-dominated environment?
Subscribe to the podcast here
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you choose to make a purchase via one of the links, we will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps to support the costs of running the podcast and blog.
In this episode, Holly and I chat with Tammy Birklid about her leadership journey and how she transitioned into her role as owner of a construction company. She shares about her experience as a female in the construction industry and how she views equality in the workplace.
Tammy provides many insights into mentoring, leadership transitions, and holding true to your faith and your values in spite of what others may think. Even if you’re not working in a primarily male environment, this episode is sure to bring you practical ways you can grow as a leader in your current situation.
Key Points Discussed:
- Tammy’s background & leadership journey [3:19]
- Working in a male-dominated industry [9:20]
- Leadership transitions [16:35]
- Characteristics of a good leader [21:15]
- Equality in the workplace [29:20]
- How faith impacts the way you do business [32:00]
- Business lessons translating into serving in the church [41:15]
- Encouragement to women who haven’t had open doors [47:00]
- Leaders are learners [50:10]
Key Quotes from the Episode:
- “Innovation is the key to life right now.”
- “A legacy is not just about what you’ve done during your life; it’s more about what is carried on in your absence.”
- “My empathy is something that is actually an asset, it is not a weakness.”
- “You can’t control other people’s perception but you can control your reaction to it.”
- “Be who you say you are.”
- “Leadership is something you carry everywhere in your world.”
- “I think to be authentic you have to be the same person through and through whether you’re at church on Sunday or you’re at work on Monday.”
- “You always want to stay true to your values.”
- “I think it’s important in times like this to lead with faith and not fear.”
Connect with Tammy:
Tammy is the Owner of a Commercial General Contracting Business in Tacoma WA. She lives in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with her husband Jason. She is the proud mother of two grown children, a son and a daughter. The Birklids attend Whitewater Church where Tammy is on the Executive Team and is an Associate Pastor.
Tammy is passionate about women and men working together for the best possible outcome. She believes lifting each other up and respecting each other’s unique gifts bring a whole, balanced perspective to business and ministry.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app. Click here to find all the options where you can find the podcast.
Join our Purposeful Leadership Facebook group! In the Facebook group, we can chat about what you need as a leader, what your challenges are, as well as celebrate the wins. This is a great community to learn and grow together. We want to get to know YOU.
Other Ways to Connect with Esther and the Christian Woman Leadership Podcast: